This is the 3rd article in a series about the book Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done, by Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan. But...with an emphasis on small business.*
Building Block #3: Having the Right People in the Right Place - the job no leader should delegate
Many Small Business Owners aren't equipped in their passion and skill sets to hire the right people for the right seat on the bus (see Good to Great by Jim Collins) and will tend to hire friends, family and others not properly "fit" for the position. Thus, the business owner needs to prepare him/herself to do it right. Here are some tips -
- Remember, if you hire a talented person, he/she will hire talented people
- Use outside help from assessments and consultants; not only does this assist the business owner now, but sets the standard for better results in the future
- Leaders should spend 40% of their time and emotional energy in selecting, appraising, and developing people
- Leaders must be decisive on tough issues
- Leaders get things done through others
- Leaders follow through
- Leaders evaluate others with honesty and candor
Jim Collins in Good to Great
To that end....look for the right people; wait for the right people.
7 Essential Behaviors for Small Businesses....TOO!